Monday, July 27, 2009

Step One

I start by leaving Home. Pack up everything that grounds me in Past, prepare a backpack with only the tools and trappings of Present. Ignore Future, let her slide in and out of the room at will, and try not to speak to her.

Begin by reconnecting with roots of heart, family, blood. Fly in a bright simple line to my Brother, the single shining being with whom I share the most biology. Talk about everything. Reground in the digestion of Ideas and the nuance of Opinion. Think in the moment. Eat when hungry, sleep when tired, be entertained. Pretend I'm on vacation. Be on vacation, for a couple of days. Let the knots in my shoulders untie, unclench the fists of Anxiety, Anticipation, Interpretation. Insist on pleasure. Look at the ocean every day.

Prime my many pipes of thinking with the easy fluids of thought, word and reaction. Tune the body to sleep and wake on demand. Repack a small bag with loose clothing, warm socks, a good bar of soap. Steady, each time I remember to take a deep breath, for the cleansing obliteration of Retreat.