Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Quick Digression



In the middle of my affair with Helsinki, a hostel roomate said, "You want to see a Real Living Bathhouse? You should go to Estonia!" So I spent the weekend in Tallinn, in the 1/2-mile square of Vanalinn (Old Town) a beautiful crumb of medieval cobbling holding down a port city. It overlooks the bay from a seat equal parts living stone and masonry, and every wall feels about 3 feet thick. I'm sure there are other parts of Tallinn which are lovely and interesting, I'm sure this city's public transportation system and everyday neighborhoods are full of adventure. But I feel such a vacation-like luxury here, I have no interest in them at all. All I want can be found wandering down tiny streets and craning my neck at stone reliefs. Tiny shops full of amber and pottery and the clouds of glowing wool creations. Museums venerable and contemporary, and art galleries by the acre.

One most excellent museums is the Nuku Museum of Puppet Arts: this is their "Steampunk Puppet Theater" -- a glowing window of clockwork automatons that whirl into jangly action every 30 minutes.

There's a funny thing happening to my field of vision, out here where I well and truly have no comprehension of the language. Automatic and endemic reader that I am, imagine my surprise now that the printed word has absolutely no meaning here. Advertising has turned into simple visual impact. Signage is visual noise. I might as well read dream newspapers. At first this was distracting, a little distressing, and I felt its loss. But now its like being sent home from work, with only a slight fever, and nothing to do the rest of the day. I've been freed from responsibility, in a bewildering way. Where did I put that ability to comprehend? I have become that smiling foreigner who simply has no clue. Strangers are lovely and helpful in need. Children think pantomime is hilarious. Shopkeepers are either kindly or exasperated. Bus drivers will let you get away with anything. I'm in a silent-film comedy.