Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sauna #4: Kalma Saun


Kalma Saun even looks like the edifice from a different hybrid era it is. It's graceful, but monolithic; sheathed in marble and institutional tile and deep orange wood. Another unique tumble of the competing Slavic/Scandinavian/Rossiyan pachinko game like Estonia, like Finland. In all of Tallinn, it seems to be the only still-functioning, always-was-a bathhouse. Spas are everywhere, mostly tucked inside hotels and convention centers (which are also everywhere, outside Old Town), running a gamut of size and purpose. Some are salons with advanced manicure/pedicure offerings, others more like indoor water parks with swimming pools and waterslides, steam rooms and saunas.

If Kamla is their predecessor, I imagine I can understand the abundance. If we'd gone This is a more-is-more bathhouse, a bring-your-own full-service spa, a day-long ritual committed to complete restoration of personal purity. In the women's side (up the stairs to the left from the hotel-lobby-like attendant station), the atmosphere is relaxed and functional, the dress code is completely un-, and the complicit camaraderie between bathers is total. Women come in pairs or alone, and spend hours in ablution. They bring apothecaries of potted unguents and elaboratives, soaps and scrubs and masques and henna for their hair. They manicure and medic themselves, tend to exfoliation and eczema with equal focus, and perform every bit of body caring to be done. Kalma is, in fact, a large-capacity, well-resourced, bathing room. And it's wonderful!

The changing and resting room is outfitted like a den, there's a big fireplace that looks like it sees regular use when it gets truly cold, and overstuffed couches and chairs. The 13 wooden lockers are large and solid, ringing the lounge without a trace of privacy. This is where modesty ends. I was probably the youngest woman both times I visited, and was welcomed both times with a maternal lack of curiosity. Besides stashing away street-clothes so the bathers can attend to more important aspects of themselves, the lounge also acts for a comfy and dry cooling room, where you can sit in your new skin til you are ready to return to the world.

I visited twice because I love a fully-functioning and vibrant bathhouse, but also because I really wanted to get it right. In Helsinki's saunas, the meat of the visit is the stove room, the purging bouts of sweating, and a bracing scrub in cold water afterwards. At Kalma, its DIY spa day. The main activity swirls around a tiled room lined with showers and filled with stone benches that are equipt with hot and cold running faucets, like so many luxurious lab tables. Stationed at these, with buckets of water as hot as you like, with any tool and potion you desire, personal devotions begin. There is laughter and smalltalk, and susurations of comfort. The place smells like fresh-cut conifer wood, good green tea, and delicate soaps.

The sauna actual is a fierce place, where no one spends more than 5 minutes, and there was no question of me keeping up my (now solidly toned) usual sweating routine. The room is no more than 15 feet long, but baking with two electric stoves. The thermometer flexed between 100-110 degrees, and I believe every decimal. This is heat that stings you skin, and you don't adjust to it. The first time I sat on its wooden benches, my skin immediately prickled into goosebumps, and started itching. Still flush with pride in my sauna skills, I made it longer than the woman who came in with me, but only by seconds. Shocked and appalled moments later in as cold a shower as I could find, my skin cooled but remained a piebald of too-pink and distressingly-pale splotches. I scrubbed down until my skin was at least a uniform color, and spent much of my first stay in the lovely cool water pool.

So the second visit I came geared up. I brought my sauna kit (hat, sit-upon, sisal mitt), I brought a fragrant sliver of soap and my nail clippers, and I brought body oils. I also bought a whisk of leafy birch twigs from the attendant, because I'd been dreaming about them since reading about Traditional Sauna, and Kalma was the first place I'd seen anyone using them. I copied the other women, soaking my whisk in hot water til the twigs were soft and whippy, and the whole affair smelled like the woods in spring. After I was warmed up and had undergone my first layer of cleansing, I took the whisk into the stove room. I sat as long as I could, breathing the steam off the whisk while the heat pried open every one of my pores, and then set about slapping my skin. It was amazing! Suddenly, the prickly itch was met and overcome, and I swear I could feel endorphins flooding my body. As I finished whisking my back it was as if all my muscles, whether in affirmation or sensory overwhelm, all relaxed at once. Success! I stepped out of that dragon room, skin completely new, to finish my bath.  

Kalma Saun: Oldest bath in Tallinn