Thursday, November 8, 2012

This Couch is Mysig


I honestly cannot recommend an east-to-west, 7-timezone airplane ride to anyone, but 32 hours after the fact, I'm doing pretty well. The first 10 hours were tricky, jetlag has gotten more sophisticated since I last tasted it. I kept getting second winds, feeling fine, looking forward to life, and starting out on adventures. Invariably, I got halfway (just inside the grocery door, to the apex of a loop around the neighborhood, up off the couch for a glass of water) suddenly was quite convinced someone was slowly but confidently pulling the linoleum/asphalt/ubiquitous birch floor paneling out from under my feet. Loss of balance was quickly ganged up upon by the sensation of being pressed by about 60 pounds of wet sand. I felt cold, and flush, and very very stupid. I'd persevere in a half-conscious sort of way, accomplish X goal without any feeling of victory, and slump back gratefully in stasis … only to get another second wind 15 minutes later. I made it til 9 before I lost consciousness and feel very very lucky that I could still say words by then.

Today, though, waking up was easy, and besides a total lack of attention span, I feel happy and normal. We walked through Stockholm, mostly the oldest island Gamal Stan, where the streets are two-wingspans wide, orthotically cobblestoned, and decorated with many antique and tasteful-tourist shops. It was a look-but-don't-touch day, a get-lost-on-purpose day, a oh-my-there's-skulls-under-that-dragon-statue day. I could hardly see the architecture for the bricks, and look forward to visiting again when peering into every window isn't so all my brain will allow. There's a gaming store (a big one with fantasy novels, comics and all kinds of geekphenalia) in which I'd love to spend an afternoon. It has a shingle hanging above the door with a painting of a dragon fighting a rocketship. Yay!

The city didn't smell like much besides cold, wet stone and the occasional municipal construction site. The buses smell like Sharpies. But outside boutiques and flower shops, on the little stone sidewalks in front of bakeries and offices, little fires were burning. Some were tea lights in colored glass jars, some were tiny campfires in little iron cages, all merry and flickering. These are mysig (say it mee-sig, with your tongue against your front teeth, the cuter you slur the better, and its an adjective), a sweet little assurance that the place within is Cozy. Friendly, nice, snug, sitting-with-friends-by-the-fire-with-a-mug-of-glogg cozy. Sweden is just about the cutest.

Now it is dark (has been since 4), just above freezing, and we've finished a dinner of corn chips (a brittle, super-finely-ground-corn local brand), home-refried black beans (they came canned in a box!) and fresh salsa made as spicy hot as we could handle. Somewhere winding through the neighborhood I can hear the chiming of an ice-cream truck.

My vocabulary is growing, mostly thanks to Engelsk Bildordbok (a Swedish-to-English dictionary done completely in pictures – nouns are awesome!):
Svamp is your singular Mushroom (more than one would be svampar)
Ren is Reindeer
Dogs say “Bow!”
And the word for Uterus is Livmoder